August 1, 2013

Vintage Phone Desk

Phone Desk Before and After {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
My dad (and I) love to go to auctions.  Many of the pieces in my home have come from various auctions.  I love the hunt . . . . although I must admit I have several of my treasures in my basement waiting to be “updated”.  This phone desk (sometimes called a gossip bench) was no exception. 


It started out pretty rough.  The fabric was U*G*L*Y and the desk top had been scratched with words (although you can’t see it here because I already sanded most of them off). 
Phone Desk Before {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I started by removing the seat.  Then I sanded.

And I sanded.

And I sanded some more . . . .

I finally decided I needed to remove the curved side pieces to get into the corners.  Luckily they came off fairly easily.
Phone Desk Sanded {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Then I sanded some more!

After that I just added a new coat of stain and sprayed on a clear coat.

Some new fabric on the seat to match my formerly red family room which is now green and it’s perfect!
Phone Desk After {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Love how it turned out and the brown pattern with touches of green in the fabric matches my new furniture and paint color perfectly.  I’m even thinking about making my new curtains out of the same fabric.

And yes. . . . I do have a phone with a cord.  We have one that we keep in case the power goes out.  Quite handy considering the power in my neighborhood seems to go out several times a year in the winter!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! We have a phone with a cord that comes out when the power comes out and my son decided that it was his toy phone and kept taking it off the hook!! It is so sad that kids don't know that phones come with cords anymore :)

    ReplyDelete