July 1, 2013

Fourth of July T-Shirts–Easy Kid Craft

A little while ago I posted this invitation that my daughter gave to her friends inviting them to craft camp.  Last week we completed our first craft.  Everyone made 4th of July t-shirts.  They were fairly simple and I think the kids all LOVED theirs!
4th of July Shirts Front {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Each person brought a white t-shirt and I provided the rest.  We used some fabric I had and a few more scraps I purchased from JoAnn’s.  Relatively inexpensive as the 4th of July fabric was 50% off and I only purchased 1/4-1/3 of a yard.  I think the favorite fabric was one that had a star print.  The kids loved just cutting out the actual stars.  One was decorated like a flag and was definitely the favorite.  You can see it on the pocket of the 4th shirt above.


They started by cutting out paper stars to use as templates.  I found some online and printed them in 4 different sizes. 
Cutting paper star templates {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of Tha}
Once they decided on a fabric and a star size I cut a small piece of fabric and ironed fusible web onto the back.  Then they traced their star and cut it out.
Tracing start templates {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Once all their start were cut they decided on placement and I ironed them all on.  We used the heavy duty fusible webbing so they should hold up through the fourth.  The girls decided to cut out more stars than I thought they would and took a lot of care placing them on their shirts.  This craft actually took us the full 2 hours.

However, once everyone left I did give my daughter a sewing lesson.  She sat in my lap and helped guide the fabric while I worked the pedal and we stitched around each start.

Sewing on Stars {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

I think they turned out great and I love that each one was a little different!  A couple of the girls even placed some on the back.
4th of July Shirts Front {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     4th of July Shirts Back {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

No comments:

Post a Comment