April 1, 2013

Laundry Room Makeover

When we first moved into our house about 7 years ago I painted my laundry room.  However, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it yet so I just used leftover paint from my daughters nursery.  It was a creamy off white color and I though it would go with everything.  The only problem was I didn’t have enough to get a good coat.

My laundry room has been through several transformations.  From this:

laundry room before left wall      laundry room before right wall

To this - after I stacked my laundry basket dressers on one side and moved the hanging stuff from both sides to the back.  This really opened up the room and made it feel larger.  It also appears neater from the kitchen as everything is hidden around the corner and not across from the door.

laundry room after left wall     laundry room after right wall

To this:

Laundry Room Hanging Wall and Blank Wall After {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

I’m finally happy with the arrangement so I decided I needed to give it a final coat of new paint.  I chose the same turquoise that I have in my kitchen.  I thought it would go great with all the white.  It made a huge difference and the room looks so much brighter!

It’s not as picture perfect as some you see but it’s definitely neater and more organized and it works for us.  I’ve never understood how all these pretty laundry rooms function.  The only cluttered part of mine seems to be the hangers.  But we hang so much stuff to dry in here (and outside when possible) that I just couldn’t get rid of them.

Someday, when the washer and dryer need to be replaced, I may look into getting front loaders so I can have a shelf above for folding and cabinets on top for closed storage.  However, I’ll still have the need for hanging stuff up to dry.  I just don’t see a way to get rid of that part.

Stay tuned to see what I have planned for that large blank wall!

How do you hang stuff to dry?  Any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. I have a folding laundry rack for drying things. 3 of us wear underwires and I prefer to wash on gentle and hang them to dry. Since it folds away, I can tuck it in between the washer and our hot water heater.
    Our room is large, so I have a photo wall divider separating the garage entrance from the laundry side of the room. It helps to block the view of the laundry and water heater.
    Two sets of double doors hide extra storage to keep the room looking more tidy. And an old parson's bench with coat hooks above gives us a spot to put on our shoes. And to make it real, the shoes are removed and tossed about the floor near the rack where they are supposed to be placed. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea on the folding drying rack. I'm ok with where I hang them to try as it's pat of a shelf that I use for storage. It's the hangers that I hate looking at. I've thought about tossing them in a basket when they're not in use so it looks less cluttered but I think that may drive my husband nuts (and he does a lot of the laundry!). I'll have to keep working on that part and see if we can find a middle ground.

      Delete
  2. I am grateful that mine is in my messy basement so people don't go there unless it is intentional. We have our old kitchen cabinets down there too for extra pantry and cleaning storage. I think that the bookshelf with the laundry baskets is neat. Did you get that all together???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was in my basement at my old house and while it was nice to have the mess down there I do enjoy having a mudroom/laundry room on the main floor in my new house :) I actually built the laundry dressers using plans from Ana White. You can check the tutorial out here: http://asprinkleofthis.blogspot.com/2011/10/trash-to-treasure-part-2.html

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete