April 9, 2013

Girl’s Room Closet Makeover

So, I’m slowly making my way through the bedroom closets in my house.  I started with my son’s by adding a narrow bookshelf in the middle.  Go here to see the details.

The next one on my list was my daughter’s room.  This was one of the first closets I organized when we moved in but it wasn’t really working.  I originally used wire shelving to divide it into sections for long hanging, short hanging, and shelves.  The only problem was there was a lot of wasted space.  Luckily I found two narrow bookshelves as a garage sale for $15 total!  One for my closet and one for hers.
The original arrangement looked like this:
Child Closet Before {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Childs Closet Before {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

You can see the beginning of the double hangers for short clothes on the right.  They extend all the way to the wall on that side.Then there are a few shelves to use the vertical space in the middle and one rack for long hanging on the left.  You can see where I added some shelves I had on the floor on the left for toy storage.

I started by removing everything.  I initially wanted her bookshelf in the middle like my sons for easy access.  However, I would’ve had to by new shelving as I didn’t have enough pieces to make that work.  I decided to put it along the wall to the left.

I used two shelves for two rows for short hanging.  I moved them up a little so I was able to add some shoe racks on the floor underneath.  She originally had her shoes in a rack on the inside back of the door but they were getting too large to fit.  The fit perfectly on the racks underneath her hanging skirts.  I was also able to keep two of the smaller shelves for some bulkier toys.  I still have the rack on the door with her flipflops but I plan to move them to a basket and keep it on the bookshelves.  I just can’t find anymore right now.  All the Target’s in my area are out!

The after looks so much better and actually stores more.
Child Closet After {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Childs Closet After {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I also added baskets to the bookshelves to contain the tiny parts of toys and art supplies, although I still need to label them.

What are your tips for organizing toys and clothes in a kids bedroom?

2 comments:

  1. My son's room doesn't even have a closet so we work with the room in the small dresser that we have so I would love to see a closet like that in his room!!! Great organization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is lucky to have a decent closet. I have seen something on pinterest where they used two of the narrow bookshelves and added bars in between to create a closet if you didn't have one. Just a thought.

      Delete