December 17, 2012

Real Homemade Fudge ~ YUMMY!


I’ve been working on my holiday baking these last few days.  I LOVE real fudge made with a candy thermometer but I’ve always struggled with it.  I finally decided I was going to figure it out.  Turns out if you take your time and actually follow the directions ~ word for word ~ it’s awesome!  So excited.  

The recipe is probably similar to others all over the Internet but this was my grandmas recipe.  I love that I have her recipe notebook with her recipe cards written in her handwriting!

Chocolate Fudge
     3 cups sugar
     1 cup milk
     4 Tbsp cocoa
     1/2 tsp salt
     1 Tbsp butter
     1 tsp vanilla
Mix first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan.  Cook on medium heat, stirring until it boils.  Once boiling, stop stirring and let it heat until 234 degrees (soft ball stage) on a candy thermometer.  Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.  No need to stir.  Let cool to room temp (I let it cool until around 130 degrees).  Then stir, and stir, and stir . . . . until it loses its shine and starts to thicken.  Spoon into a buttered 8x8 pan.  Cool and cut into squares.

So yummy!
Real Homemade Fudge {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

3 comments:

  1. YUM! My mama always makes pounds and pounds and pounds of homemade fudge at Christmas time. I noticed your comment about my rainbow lettering on my blog (I couldn't figure out how to e mail you). My crafty husband did it for me. I'll see if he can get a tutorial for me that I can put up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MargaretB

    I love real fudge that's a little drier. It takes so much time to make one small 8x8 pan though. I only made 3 pans :)

    I would LOVE a tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you soooo much for sharing this priceless recipe from your grandma; how special!! I've been looking for a recipe like this for awhile now (one that doesn't use marshmallow cream). I'm so glad I found you!! I'm printing this right now and adding to my recipe collection. I plan to make a batch for New Years. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete