November 20, 2012

Birthday Board–Craft Club

Birthday Board {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Last month my craft club decided to make birthday boards.  

This board was our inspiration (although we did make a few changes):
Birthday Board Inspiration
I was in charge of this one so I needed to purchase the following supplies
2’ x 4’ sheet of MDF (cut with a jigsaw and miter saw)
Silhouette Cameo
coordinated scrapbook paper
black cardstock (not pictured)
Mod Podge
vinyl
ribbon
cup hooks (not pictured)
BIrthday  Board Supplies 1 {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}    Birthday Board Supplies 2 {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}      Birthday Board Mod Podge {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Silhouette Cameo {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}          Birthday Board Vinyl Lettering {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}    
I drew the general shape I wanted on paper and then traced it on the MDF (it’s approximately 12” x 14”) and used a jigsaw to cut the board shape.  Then I used a miter saw to cut the countdown blocks.
I covered the board with scrapbook paper using Mod Podge and then added the vinyl lettering I cut using my Silhouette.  After I covered the entire surface with Mod Podge and let it dry I screwed in the cup hooks.  The inspiration board used ribbon and bullnose clips but we were unable to find those so we substituted.
Birthday Board Front {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Birthday Board Hooks {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
For the countdown I Mod Podged more coordinated paper onto 2” square blocks and then added the numbers 1-6 that I cut using my Cameo.  These will hang from a cup hook at the top scalloped part of the board. 
Birthday Board Number Blocks Front {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Birthday Board Number Blokds Back {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
For the dinner choices and activity ideas I typed up cards in Word, glued them onto coordinated scrapbook paper and then covered the top with Mod Podge.  A few holes with a hole punch and they easily hang from the cup hooks.  I think this will actually hold up better than the ribbon and bullnose clips since the ribbon tends to sag.
Birthday Board Activity Cards {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Birthday Board Dinner Cards {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I also Mod Podged more paper onto the back and used my Silhouette and the black cardstock to cut the “it’s my birthday” words.  The entire back was coated with Mod Podge to protect it from little fingers.
Birthday Board Back {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
And my finished board:
Birthday Board {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I love how it turned out and can’t wait to use it with my kids.  Any fun dinner or activity suggestions for me?

2 comments:

  1. This is a really fun idea, my kids LOVE to count down and plan their dinner, too! They like to have make your own pizza nights, those are always fun. Thanks for linking on Printabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea :) Thanks for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. I'm looking forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

    ReplyDelete