October 19, 2012

Refrigerator Organization

Cleaning out my fridge was loooong overdue.  We spilled some things a while ago and I think we were each waiting for the other one to clean it out.  My husband won.  I couldn’t stand it anymore.  I needed to pull everything out to clean the shelves and bins properly so I thought it would be a great time to organize it better.  We recently bought a french door bottom freezer fridge and it has a ton of space  . . . . almost too much . . . . we tend to keep more than we should . . . .
fridge before {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That} 
  refrigerator  before {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Fridge door before {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Not too bad but I have too many little things that get shoved to the back and lost.  Since I’m short it’s hard for me to get things on top or in the back.  I started by pulling everything out.

fridge before cleaning {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}   Fridge shelves before cleaning {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

The shelves and bins were worse than I thought.  Ewwww!!  I pulled them all out and scrubbed them clean.  Then I washed out the inside of the fridge and put them all back in a different arrangement. 
Fridge after cleaning {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Now for the fun part.  After taking inventory of the food I used some containers that I had laying around the house and also picked up a few more and got to work.
Refriderator after organizatino {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Fridge door bins after organization {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Top Shelf:
     Basket for individual servings of fruit and veggies (kids lunches)
     Basket for individual servings of yogurt
     Basket for other small misc containers (dip, sour cream, etc)
     A bottle of wine and a 2L of sods (in the wasted space under the filter)
Middle Shelf:
     Leftovers on the left
     Small baskets with handles for individual servings of mousse or pudding
     Small baskets with handles for individual cups of pizza sauce (kids lunches)
     Bins for eggs
Bottom Shelf:
     Baskets for juice
    Jars of soup, syrup, tomato sauce, etc
     Basket for reusable water bottles and reusable thermoses
Bins
     Veggies, Fruit, Lunch Meat, Cheese
Long Bins
     Breads (rolls, buns, tortillas, etc)
Door Bins:
     Water thermoses for kids
     Milk
     Condiments (I also added a small container inside one bin to hold butter sticks – they’re always falling over!!)

It’s such a better use of space and I actually have extra room if I need it as I can slide the bins back and place something in front of them.  I’m just wondering how long it will stay this way.  I may need to label it so my husband and kids know where things go!

Planning to do my bottom load freezer next.  It’s been a while since I last organized it and it’s a little out of control.

Any tips for me on organizing the fridge or freezer?  I’m always looking for help . . . .

2 comments:

  1. I saw a pin Ive been meaning to do. Line your shelves with Glad press and seal and then when something spills you can just lift and throw it away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @PJ @ Planned in Pencil

    I haven't seen that pin That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete