October 27, 2012

Halloween Costume ~ Bat Wings!

I usually try to get my kids to match their costumes.  They’re starting to fight me on this so it might be my last year Sad smile

Remember this Batmobile?
Cozy Coupe Batmobile {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
My son wants to be Batman and he wants to drive his Batmobile.  I painted his red and yellow Cozy Coupe to transform it into a Batmobile.  I’m guessing he’ll get tired of getting in and out of it but he may use it for a block or two.  You can see the full tutorial here.


His costume was pretty easy.  Black pants, black shirt with the batman logo (I made similar to his superhero cape), batman mask (purchased) and his Batman cape (I made):
Batman Cape {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
You can see the full post here.

I talked my daughter into being Batgirl.  She’ll also wear black pants and shirt with the Batman logo.  Then I have a ruffled skirt for her (from Target).  It’s black and I’m planning to add a few sparkly yellow tulle layers.  I also made her some bat wings.  I used this tutorial with a few changes.  I have to say that it was harder than I thought it would be.  It took me several tries to get the shape I wanted with the hangers.  Then I pulled on the knee-hi socks.  Mine didn’t exactly follow the bends in my hangers (I think because they were thicker knee-hi’s) but I like the shape even better.  I pulled them tight and just used masking tape to hold the end in place.  I cut the extra length off and saved it.  Then I clipped off the curved part of the hanger and sprayed them with some glitter blast and taped both together in the middle.  They’re extremely glittery in person.
Glittery Batgirl Wings Tutorial{A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
My daughter loves them.  For the middle, instead of wrapping it with black tape I took the extra length of knee-hi, started with the cut edge, and wrapped it around the taped center.  When I finished I had the finished end of the knee-hi left.  I simply hand stitched it in place.  It gave me a nice finished center.  Now I just need to add the elastic arm straps but I need to make a run to the fabric store for black elastic.  I didn’t think white would look too good over a black shirt.
Glittery Batgirl Wings Close-Up {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Glittery Batgirl Wings DIY {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I’ll post the full costumes when they’re finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment