October 2, 2012

Fire Starters

I remember making these when I was in Girl Scouts a loooong time ago.  We called them candle kisses.  I’ve been making them for the past couple of winters to start fires in our fireplace and in the backyard in our firepit. They work great and I don’t have to use any lighter fluid.
Candle Kiss Fire Starters {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

They’re just made from candles and wax paper.  I just use pillar candles I no longer want to burn or I get candlesticks or other candles cheap at garage sales or on freecycle. 
Candle Kiss Fire Starter Supplies {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Cut the candle into small pieces and then wrap in a piece of wax paper . . . . sort of like a piece of taffy.  I even wrap piles of the crumbs that I’m left with after cutting up the pillar candle.
From a couple of old pillar candles I was no longer burning I was able to almost fill a shoebox.  (I actually have more I haven’t wrapped but I ran out of wax paper)
Candle Kisses Fire Starters {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
You just tuck a few in under the logs and light the end.  I end up using 5-9 depending on the fire.  I don’t really even need to use kindling, just smaller logs.

I’ve thought about trying the fire starters I’ve see made from dryer lint, wax, and an egg carton . . . . I just don’t want to have to melt the wax.  What are your best fire starter tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment