September 18, 2012

Ruffled Ribbon Socks Tutorial

Ruffle Socks Tutorial {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
These are so easy to make and my daughter loves them!  I made her about 12 pairs a couple years ago but she’s starting to outgrow them so I need to make more.  I thought I’d do a quick tutorial while I was at it.
I start by turning the sock inside out.  Then I fold the edge of the ribbon over and line it up with the middle of the back of the sock.  To make it ruffle you need to stretch the sock as you sew.  The more you stretch the more it gathers.  To get a good ruffle you really need to stretch it as much as possible.  I didn’t stretch the first pair I ever made enough and it was hard to get them on because the ribbon didn’t give.   
  Ruffle Socks Step 1 {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}         Ruffle Socks Step 2 {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
When I get to the end I cut my ribbon so I have enough to overlap where I started - making sure to leave enough to turn the end under like in the beginning.  When I get to the end I turn the sock 90 degrees and stitch the two ends of the doubled over ribbon together.
Ruffle Socks Step 3 {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Then clip your threads and turn the sock right side out.  You can easily make several pairs in an hour.  I just need to run to the store to get more colors of ribbon.  I’m hoping Hobby Lobby has their ribbon on sale soon!
Ruffle Socks Tutorial {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

No comments:

Post a Comment