September 3, 2012

DVD Colored Pencil Cases

My craft club met a few weeks ago and made the perfect craft for our next trip.  We used empty DVD cases to make colored pencil cases.  We used an exact-o knife to remove the spokes that hold the DVD in place.  I recommend slipping a piece of cardboard in the front cover to protect the clear sleeve when cutting.  We didn’t do this and some of them were cut. 

To cover the front you just cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit.  I wanted mine to match the fabric inside so I took a piece of fabric to Office Max and had them make a color copy.  It worked out great.  Just remember if you have text like my Mizzou one to make sure it’s oriented correctly. 
Colored pencil cases covers {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

For the inside we cut a piece of cardboard to fit the side where we removed the spokes that held the DVD.  Then we just used spray adhesive and wrapped it with fabric.  We took a second piece of fabric and made a pocket.  We cut it about 2/3 the height of the DVD case (leaving enough to wrap on the bottom and sides).  For one I cut the top with pinking shears for the other I folded the top over to create a nice edge that wouldn’t fray.  Both worked well but I think I like the folded edge better as it just seems a little sturdier.  We used the spray adhesive on the back side and wrapped the edges to hold them in place.  Then we just glued the whole thing to the DVD case.  The left side can be used to hold paper or a small activity book.
Colored pencil cases {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}

No comments:

Post a Comment