August 9, 2012

Vacation Organization ~ Part 2 ~ Packing Luggage and the Car

The second thing I did was to try to organize my car.  We generally go somewhere that requires a 2 day drive since we live in the middle of the country.  I have to be very creative to keep the kids from getting bored and the car from getting trashed.  I used this tutorial to sew an organizer for the back of the seats for each kid.  I modified it a little to fit our needs better but it was a great tutorial and really easy to follow. 
Car Seat Organizer {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}         Car Seat Organizers {A Sprinkle of This . . . .  A Dash of That}
In addition to these pocket organizers each kid has a tub of toys and activities.  Since they’re still small I can put the basket on the floor in front of their seat.  They little legs are still too small to reach but they can lean down to get what they want. We’ve used these for years.  They come in really handy when we’re at someone’s house who doesn’t have toys.  We just pull these out and the kids are entertained for a while.  I also packed a thirty-one tote with activities that will go on the seat between them.
Toy Baskets for Traveling {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}          Thirty-One Tote for Organizing Activities in the Car {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
To pack my kids clothes and try to keep them from making a huge mess I decided to pack each outfit in a ziploc bag this year.  For my daughter, each bag contains a pair of shorts, a top, a pair of underwear, a pair of socks, and any necessary hair stuff (headband, ponytail holder, hairbow . . . . ).  My son was easier.  Each of his bags just contain a pair of shorts, a top, and a pair of underwear.  I plan to store the bags in their suitcases when we get home so they’re ready to go from year to year.
Packing Kids Clothes for Travel {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}        Packing Kids Luggage for Travel {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I’m also making a travel timeline so that my kids don’t keep asking how much longer.  It’s basically a list of the cities clipped on a string with clothespins and as we pass each one they can remove it.  This will let them see how far we’ve come and how far we have to go.  I’ll list the same cities that’s on the map in front of their activity binders.  You can download the free printable (as well as some others) from The Dating Divas by clicking on the picture below.  In addition to tracking our travels they’ll also get a treat at each city if they’ve been good.  I wrap several dollar store type toys or treats and mark them with each kids initial.  I used to just randomly give them one each hour or so.  This is the first year I’m tying them to the cities we’re passing through.  I’m hoping this will cut down on the “has it been an hour yet” questions.  They’ll be able to look at the map in their activity binders to get an idea how much further we have to go. 
road trip timeline and other printables
Since we’re going to be driving for several hours I packed travel snacks like these (click on the picture to see the original source which was my inspiration).  I actually used a bead organizer that has smaller compartments and included some candy along with bunny crackers and other things.  I try to limit the treats they have but since this is only used on car trips I figure we can splurge.  I’m hoping this will keep me from having to constantly hand out snacks.  The rule is that it won’t get refilled until the next day so they’ll need to ration what they eat to make it last.  We will still have some things in a cooler to eat like cheese sticks or grapes but I’m hoping to just get into those when we make bathroom stops.  Each kid will also have a thermos of water. travel snacks How do you organize for a road trip?  I’m always looking for great ideas!!

Part 1 - Meal Planning
Part 3 - Entertaining the Kids
Part 4 - Update

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great tips, I'm off to pin this.
    Cheers,
    Char

    ReplyDelete