August 31, 2012

DIY Bedroom Closet Organization

When we moved into our house 6 years ago we basically remodeled every closet except the one in my sons room.  Since he’s getting bigger it was due for an upgrade. I started by removing the sliding doors.
Bedroom Closet Makeover {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
You can see how much wasted space is at the top.

I started by moving everything out.  The first thing I moved in was this bookshelf I got from freecycle.  The back was broken so I just removed it and then added small pieces of wood at the base of each shelf for stability and to keep my son from pushing things off the back. 
Bookshelf Makeover for Closet Organization {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}   Bookshelf Upcycle for Closet Organization {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}   Freecycle Bookshelf for Closet Makeover {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Then I decided to make the left side of his closet for longer hanging clothes and the right side for shorter.  I hung a header bar at the top of both sections with two bars hanging down on each side.
Closet Organization and Shoe Shelves {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     New Closet Shelving {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
On the left I added one wire shelf up high.  On the right side I spaced three wire shelves out evenly.  Since my son doesn’t have a lot of long hanging clothes yet I added some folding wire shelves that I had in storage.  They’re meant to be hooked on to wire shelves to add more organization.  I just decided to stack them and place them on the floor underneath.  These are where he stacks his shoes.  We initially used the middle shelves for toys since his folded clothes fit in his dresser.
Closet Organization with toys {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
But then I got a new bookshelf from Ikea to try to organize some of his smaller toys like legos and squinkies which meant his books needed a new home.  We were able to fit the toys in an empty drawer in his dresser which freed up the shelves for his books.
Closet Organization with books {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I know it looks like he has a ton of clothes but my son is the youngest and gets TONS of hand-me-downs.  His closet actually stores 3 years of sizes of winter clothes.  We store all his shorts, short sleeved t-shirts, and pants in his dresser.  It’s so much easier to have all his clothes out that he’ll need for a while.  I have fewer tubs I need to store in my basement and we don’t have clothes that he never wears because they’re packed away and we forget about them.
One more look at the before and after
Bedroom Closet Makeover {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
I did put the sliding doors back on.  I was tempted to change them to bi-fold like I did with my husband’s closet and my kitchen pantry.  I think it’s so much easier when you can open it all the way and see everything.  However, his closet isn’t a standard size (grrr . . . . stupid builders . . . . ) so I would have to make the opening bigger . . . by 1 inch.  That will have to wait for another day.

4 comments:

  1. This looks great. I need to do something similar in my son's closet. Where did you get the brackets and shelving that you used? It's repositionable, right?
    Also... love the cutie in the pics. He is adorable. Visiting from A Bowl Full of Lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you re-organized the closet space with the books shelf and changing up the hanging bars. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a year late on replying but I just found this today and I love the ideas! I am upgrading my condo and I want to make better use of my closet space. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete