August 3, 2012

Car Seat Coolers

I don’t know what the weather is like where you live but we’ve had record temperatures here. 
temperature in July {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Yes. . . . that says 111 degrees . . . . and I was driving down the road (not sitting parked in the sun) . . . .
Crazy!
My kids wouldn’t stop complaining about the heat which reminded me about these car seat coolers I made last year.  I finally remembered to get them out of the freezer so we could use them today. 
car seat coolers {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
Car Seat Cooler Boy Version {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}     Car Seat Cooler Girl Version {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
If I remember to tuck their seatbelts underneath it’s even better.  No complaints about a hot buckle!

Basically, you sew a series of pockets onto the backside that you slip freezer packs into.  Even in today’s 100+ temperatures my kids seats were still cool after 4 hours in the sun.  (I used a tutorial on-line but I can't link to it as the page no longer exists.  Sorry!)  {I think I need to make one for me ~ black leather seats are no fun in the summer heat}

They roll up nice and small and I just store them in a pull out basket in my freezer. 
Car Seat Coolers rolled and ready for the freezer {A Sprinkle of This . . . . A Dash of That}
The only thing I would’ve done differently is to make it wider so I could cover their arm rests.  My son’s aren’t bad because they’re covered in fabric but my daughter’s plastic ones get really hot.  I’ve been promising her some slipcovers for them for a while now.  Guess I need to work on those next.
How do you stay cool in the car?

No comments:

Post a Comment