May 7, 2012

Homemade Freezer Pops

 
Fla-vor-ice . . . . freezer pops . . . . Push Up Popsicles . . . Push Pops . . . . not really sure what exactly these are called . . . . just know my kids beg for them.  However, we're really trying to eat better which means as little processed food as possible and avoiding some ingredients (like msg, aspertame, and high fructose) as much as possible.  That's why I knew I had to find a way to DIY these.

I actually saw this a few years ago on-line somewhere but I have no idea what the site was anymore so I thought I'd make my own tutorial.

You need:
vacuum sealer
the larger roll of plastic to make into bags
juice of your choice

Pretty simple actually.  Start by sealing several small tubes.  I seal the end of the roll and then move it up to the rubber seal where the vacuum part is and seal again (you're basically making tubes that are approx 1").  Move up a little (about 1/4") and seal again.  Move to the rubber seal (about 1") and seal again.  Repeat until you have the number of popsicles you desire.  You're basically making several skinny tubes with a gap in between that you can cut.

Once you have all your tubes sealed you'll need to cut one of the ends open so you can fill them with any juice you choose.  I used Mango Lemonade from Trader Joes but I've used Grape Juice and flavored lemonades in the past.  This step can be a little tricky.  I actually have a tiny stainless steel funnel that I use.
 As you fill each one you'll need to seal the end.  Just scoot your vacuum sealer to the end of your counter and place the bag in so it hangs down and seal.  Make sure not to put the end of the tube in the vacuum part or it will pull the juice out and you'll have a sticky mess. 
And as easy at that you'll have the popsicles your kids want without all the bad ingredients you don't.  The best part is you can wash them out and fill them again.  They just get a little shorter each time but you can get several uses out of one!  My son can't wait to get his in the freezer!! 


2 comments:

  1. What a cool and original idea. I always hated buying those Freezer pops at the store and my kids just loved them. This is so much better, healthy and you know exactly what is in them. I would love for you to come over and link them up at my first time ever blog hop:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to Freedom Fridays! Everyone (you) made this a super great party:) See you next week!

    ReplyDelete