December 6, 2011

Where in the World . . . . ?

I'm horrible at geography . . . . I mean really, really bad.  I used to cringe when I got a state in Pictionary because I don't even know where all 50 are located on a map.  My subject is math. I teach it, I tutor it, I LOVE it!

I'm hoping my kids are better at geography than me so I'm starting to review it with them early.

I saw this idea here and thought it could have so many uses.  We can flag where we've traveled, learn state names and locations, work on capitals, etc.

I've had this bulletin board that I got from freecycle laying around forever.  We used it at my daughter's princess party to play "pin the kiss on the frog").  
I googled "map of the US" and decided this one would work best for me.

I traced it onto a piece of glass to use on my overhead projector (another freecycle score that I used to paint the monkeys on my sons room. You can see that tutorial here and here with one more update coming soon of the finished project).  Then I traced it onto the bulletin board, outlined it heavy in black and used an exacto knife to cut it out (I also outlined the states).  It was actually easier than I thought it would be.
 A little ribbon and it's ready to hang.
To mark our vacations (or states or capitals someday) I created these flags.
Right now I've just pinned the vacations we've taken as a family since we had kids.  Looks like we need to venture out west  :)
¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment