December 3, 2011

J * O * Y

Today was the December meeting for my craft club.  It was my turn to host.  I chose these "JOY" candlestick plaques from Shanty2Chic
Since my club tries to keep the cost down we ordered many of our supplies on-line, used scrap wood for the plaques, leftover burlap that I've had for years, and finials that we pieced together from misc wood pieces to make them more substantial.  We were able to create our set of three for around $7.

I started by gluing all the pieces together and then priming everything to prep them for my group.


We also wanted ours to be interchangeable so that we could use them after Christmas for displaying photos or even use them for other holidays so we made a few modifications.  Instead of gluing the burlap onto the plaques we glued it to brown cardstock and then used mini wood clothespins glued onto the plaques to attach them.

For the last step I cut about 5 different fonts on my cricut and used the negative part as a stencil.  It worked out much better than I anticipated.
 Some painted them brown and stenciled red letters while others chose black with black stenciled letters.  I think both turned out great. 


 The only step I still need to do is sand them off for a weathered look. I'm just waiting for the paint to dry completely.

I'm on the fence on whether or not to paint the mini clothespins black.  What do you think?
´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment