November 25, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas . . . .

Now that Thanksgiving is over and the fall decorations are packed away for another year we can start decorating for Christmas.  It's a lot of work but I love all the lights and decorations this time of year.  My daughter helped me get our fireplace, stairs, and front porch ready today since we had some unseasonably warm weather.  

We started with our version of an advent calendar.  After Christmas last year I purchased 12 packages of baby socks on sale at JoAnn's.  We hung them with mini wooden clothespins on some garland we looped around my new shaker pegs on the fireplace.  I just added these a few days ago.  You can see the tutorial here.  I love how it turned out.  We also added some garland above on the mantle.  I'm thinking about adding some numbers to the socks and I plan fill each one with a small treat for my kiddos. 

Here is is all lit up.
You can see how bare the strand of garland looks above.  To make it fuller without spending a fortune I purchased some individual picks on sale after Christmas a few years ago and I just randomly stick them in to dress it up and make it look a little fuller.  


Next, we tackled the railing on the stairs to the second level.  Several years my sister found some garland in a magazine that was battery operated.  Perfect since I don't have anywhere to plug it in.  They weren't cheap but it's my only option since I don't have an outlet nearby.
 We also decorated the front porch.  When we bought this house it just had a plain, flat, brick front.  My husband loved the back yard since it backed to woods.  I agreed with the understanding that we would eventually add on a front porch.  We finally did a couple of years ago.  We made it span the entire front and made it as deep as we could go.  It's huge and I LOVE it!  We spend all summer, spring, and fall out there.  I have a swing and the kids have a picnic table so we can even eat lunch in the summer.  For Christmas we added some garland, lights, tree topiaries, and a wooden sled that I got off Freecycle.


 Some of my other projects are:
1.  Set up and decorate the main tree
2.  Set up and decorate the tree in my daughter's room
3.  Set up and decorate the tree in my son's room
4.  Find a place to display my vintage glitter houses (these are glittery cardboard with colored windows.  They have a hole in the back that you can put a light in to make the windows glow.  I also have metal figures - a sleigh pulled by reindeer, people, kids on a sled, kids skating, etc.  I love these.  My mom used to display them under our tree.  She even had a mirror cut to look like a skating pond).
5.  Set up my carolers and old fashioned lamppost by the fireplace. 
6.  Decorate the chandelier above my dining room table
7.  Decorate the main floor half bath.
8.  Set out a few other random decorations

And the most important of all . . . . 
Start having fun with Jingles, our Elf on a Shelf.  If you have one be sure to check out Pinterest for some great ideas to display him.  Here are some I've pinned.

´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute advent.

    I'd love for you to share this project on Inspiration Friday at Simply Christmas http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/2011/12/inspiration-friday.html

    ReplyDelete