September 15, 2011

Coffee Table Makeover

A few years ago my sister gave me her old pine coffee table that she was tossing out.  The top was badly damaged with tons of nicks and dents.  I sanded it and painted it all out in white.  Then I taped off the top and added some red stripes to match my family room and painted the middle with chalkboard paint.  This served us well for several years, however, I was ready for a change.  My kids didn't use the chalkboard part anymore and I was tired of touching up the edges where the white paint kept getting chipped off.


My inspiration was this table from pottery barn. I love the dark top against the white base.
 My first step was to sand off all the paint from the top.  

And then sand some more . . . . I used a ton of sandpaper and made a huge mess in my front yard.  

Once I had all the paint off the table was actually in great shape.  The sanding also got rid of all the nicks and scratches. 
 
It looks so much better in my family room.  It even matches a little chair that my kids sit in at the table.

This coffee table makeover was featured on Knock Off Decor

¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

4 comments:

  1. Very nice.. found you over at Knock Off Decor. I love that little chair beside the table too... looks like a nice ole primitive piece.

    Great job.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb. I actually got the little chair for free from a garage sale. The owner said she brought it back from Germany (I think that's where she said). It's a really cute, small chair and my kids love it. I can't believe she gave it away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The table top looks like pine to me, is that correct? Would you please tell me what product you used to stain the top, how many coats and if you put any sort of top coat on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top is pine, very soft, which is the reason it had so many nicks. I actually stained it with Minwax Polyshades (stain and polyurethane in 1 step) in Mission Oak Satin first. It looked great outside but I decided it was too dark once I got it in my house so I sanded it all off again and used Minwax Wood Finish in Puritan Pine and then put a couple coats of polyurethane on top. I think I would have actually polyurethaned the original color as well even though it was supposedly all in one. I just used one coat of stain both times and it was plenty. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete