June 14, 2011

Family Photo Wall

This is a project I've been meaning to do for a while.  I picked up a few frames from Hobby Lobby a couple of months ago when they were on sale.  Then I set them aside and forgot about them.  I finally dug them out today and decided to get them hung.  I had the arrangement in my head already so I just needed to get the supplies together (hammer, drill, screwdriver).  I started with this wall in my dining room... . . . 
It already had these "Piggies and Paws" drawings on it.  If you haven't heard of Piggies & Paws before they're a company that does home parties.  An artist comes to your home and takes handprints or footprints of your kids and then turns them into a picture you  pick out from a book.  The first one is a palm tree from my sons hand with thumbprint monkeys.  the second one is a fairy made from my daughter's foot.  The third one is a santa made from my daughter's hand and the last one is a reindeer made from my sons hand. . . . 
They're just sitting on plate racks so it was easy to take them down and move them to the opposite wall above my server. . . . 
I think it's a better fit since it's a smaller wall.

Then I traced the new frames on some butcher paper so I could tape them to the wall to determine where I wanted to place them.
Once I was happy with the arrangement I hammered my nails right through the paper and then tore it off and hung my pictures.
Something didn't look right though.  The wall still felt a little empty so I went through my pictures in the family room and pulled one out.  Then I found a frame I had purchased at a garage sale and spray painted it black.  I played around with Wordle to make a "word cloud" to put in my newly painted frame.  If you haven't heard of Wordle, it's a free service where you can enter random words and then have it generate a "word cloud" similar to a subway print.  You can change colors and arrangements.  The more times you type a word the larger it gets so I typed our names three times and the rest one time and then printed on photo paper.
Here are some closeups of the frames I purchased from Hobby Lobby (along with a quote)


Here is the final wall . . . . . 
I'm happy with the outcome.  It's looks finished for now but there's enough room that I can add more photos in the future. I am thinking about cutting a quote with my Cricut out of vinyl to add it it.  For now, though, I just need to get some photos printed to put in all the frames.. . . 

´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise


No comments:

Post a Comment