April 2, 2011

Weekly Organizational Challenge #9 - Purge

This weeks challenge was to purge anything and everything.  Since I'm working on redoing my son and daughter's room I started there.  Here are some before pictures of my sons room.  The walls still have lambs that matched the Pottery Barn Kids crib bedding I used with both kids.  It was much more organized and cuter before we added the "tent bed" and all the toys.  I LOVE the wall decor.  I hand painted it to match the bedding exactly using Kunin cloth that was waxed on the back so that it is repositionable.  As I changed furniture and rearranged the room I was able to move the lambs and trees so they were always visible.  Unfortunately, the store that sold it locally no longer sells it and I can't find it anywhere.  If anyone knows where I can order some please let me know!!


 My daughter's room needs to be redone because I've decided that there is just too much furniture and I'm tired of the wall treatment.  It's sponge painted with light pink near the base boards that fades to white near the ceiling.  I've decided that it's just too busy.  I'd like to do a pink and brown color scheme.


Their rooms have needed to be updated for a while and the clutter was starting to get to me.  I started by removing her white furniture that belonged to me in college and replaced it with the antique furniture that was in my sons nursery.  Then we brought up an extra bedroom set for him that we were storing in the basement.  Eventually, I'd like to paint both rooms (not sure exactly what I'm doing in hers yet but I have a monkey mural planned for his - I'll have to paint directly on the wall if I can't find anymore waxed Kunin cloth).  I'd also like to paint the furniture that we moved into his room.  I'll update with pictures in a later post when I have them finished.

Back to the cleaning.  I was able to purge enough from my daughter's room to fill two boxes.

Still working on my sons room . . . . . . .

I also thinned out my recipe books, some fabric, a few of my kids toys, and a ton of VHS movies.  Luckily I was able to get rid of all this stuff through freecycle so I didn't have to throw it away. I LOVE FREECYCLE . . . . you should check to see if your area has one.  It's a great way to get rid of things you no longer need, but hate to throw away as they're still in good condition.  I have given away and received tons of stuff over the last few years.


Then I started on my craft room.  I'm fortunate enough to have a fourth bedroom that is my dedicated craft/sewing room and has a walk in closet that my husband and I remodeled when we moved in.  It has shelves all around.  However, it becomes a dumping ground for everything since it's behind closed doors and has tons of storage space.  It currently houses much more than just my craft stuff and was becoming very cluttered and unorganized.  I started with all my gift wrap.  The blue bag in the picture is full of bows, ribbon, paper, and gift bags.  Not sure what I was saving it for.  I also thinned out and organized all my craft materials.  Most of this will be saved for my subdivision garage sale in May.  
My closet is looking much better but is far from finished.  However, I'm going to have to put it on hold for a little while so that I can finish my kids rooms.  I just picked up some paint samples from the store today and can't wait to get started on the monkey mural!!

´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment