April 2, 2011

Weekly Organizational Challenge #10 - Menu Planner


This is actually something I've been working on for a while.  I hate planning meals and am horrible at it.  Since I want my family to eat healthier I knew I needed to come up with something.  When I started working on my Home Management Binder this was a natural category.  I have a weekly calendar in the front of the menu section in a clear sleeve protector.  At the beginning of each week my husband or myself chooses our meals for the week, from breakfast, to dinner, sides and snacks included.  Behind the weekly calendar I have several tabbed sections with all my meal categories such as main dishes, side dishes, breakfast, etc.  This part took several weeks.  I went through all my recipe books, including my recipe binders full of ones I've collected on-line, and listed all our favorites in excel. I included the name of the recipe book, the name of the recipe, the page it's on, and a basic list of ingredients.  Then I labeled a post it tab for each one.  I printed the spreadsheet and placed the tab on each recipe.  Now, we just choose the recipe we want, pull the post it tab off, and place it on the weekly calendar on the day we want to serve it.  I also have the tabs color coded (ex:  green is from a recipe book, blue I can cook from memory, yellow from my recipe binder, etc).  Each day I can just look at the calendar and flip to the section where the recipe is to see a quick list of ingredients to make sure I have everything I need.  Then for dinner I just need to get the correct recipe book.  This is also easy to update.  If we try a recipe and don't like it I can easily remove it from the spreadsheet.  I can also add recipes as I collect new cookbooks.  
 ´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

1 comment:

  1. this is so cool! i might try: I wanted a system that took into account only tried and true recipes with a place to list ingredient - this looks like a very smart system indeed

    ReplyDelete