April 15, 2011

Five Little Monkeys . . . . .

My son is turning three in June and I've decide to turn his room from his baby nursery into a big boy room.  This room was initially my daughters nursery.  It had the lamb crib bedding from Pottery Barn Kids.  Then I painted lambs, stars, trees, and fences to match that I added to the wall.  I made these using some awesome Kunin Cloth that was waxed on the back.  What's great about this is that they're repositionable.  You just paint on the fabric, cut it out, peel off the wax paper and apply it to the wall.  When you want to change you just peel them off (just like post it notes) . . . . AWESOME!!  When I moved my daughter out and rearranged a little for my son I just peeled them off and placed them somewhere else.  Then when we moved him out of a crib into a toddler bed I was able to move them again.  I was also able to place them on wax paper when I took them off the wall so I can save them to go with the bedding for the future. Unfortunately, the store where I purchased the fabric from no longer sells it and I couldn't find it anywhere else.  

Here is a close up of some of the lambs.  They matched the crib bumper exactly.
Here are a couple of overall pictures of the room.


 We moved the antique furniture into my daughters room  . . . . . I'm planning to do her room next so check back for that . . . . . and moved a different set to his room that we had stored in the basement.

The first thing I did was to paint the part of the wall above the green hills blue.  This was extra paint we had from their bathroom that is furnished in ducks with blue and yellow walls.  Then, since I was unable to find the waxed fabric I had to find an overhead projector so I could trace them.  Luckily,  I was able to get one off freecycle . . . . I LOVE freecycle . . . . . .

I sketched some monkey's and palm trees, traced them onto an overhead, and then traced them onto the wall.  Here is a shot of the palm tree being projected onto the wall.  Not the best shot but it's hard to get it to show up in a photo.

 This is probably one of my favorites.  I did decide that the monkeys head was too small so I make it larger when I actually traced it on the wall.  I'm still debating what color to paint the B . . . . . do I make it green like the vines, or brown like the monkeys . . . . or maybe a different color altogether like the yellow in the bananas?  Suggestions anyone?

 This is my sons favorite.  It's a fat little monkey sitting on the floor.  Again, this is a preliminary sketch.  I did make some changes to it to make it more proportional.  I also have a fun surprise for this little guy.  You'll have to wait until after I get it painted to see . . . . . but I promise it's totally worth it.
There are a few more monkeys hanging from vines scattered around the room.  I'm also thinking about writing "Five little monkeys jumping on a bed . . . . " in small letters along the green hill above his bed.  I also have one other surprise for his bed that I'll post when it's all finished.  Now I need to run to the store to buy some brown and green paint.  I'll upload new photos once it's all finished.  Stay tuned . . . . . . . .

¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

2 comments:

  1. This is FANTASTIC! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those monkeys are adorable!! I look forward to seeing the finished room.

    ReplyDelete