January 4, 2011

Day 3 - 21 Day Organizational Challenge - "Tupperware Cabinet" (Denise)

I was so happy to see this as our Day 3 challenge.  This is actually one area of my life where I'm organized.  I made a conscious decision when we moved 4 years ago to get my kitchen in order from day 1.  My cabinets are actually fairly neat and tend to stay that way . . . . . as long as my husband doesn't try to put anything away.  He is also no longer allowed to put anything in the pantry (I wonder how much that was a conscious decision on his part to get out of the grocery chore . . . I'm hoping that the pantry wins the poll on A Bowl Full of Lemons so that I can get mine back in shape)





However, the rest of my house is far from organized so it was easy to find a replacement "cabinet".  I chose to organize my entertainment center in my family room.  This cabinet has been bothering me for a while.  It's fairly new but I have never liked the fact that the right side had a ton of wasted space.  It has pull out drawers for CDs which is great but there is a lot of dead space above.  I used some scrap wood to build some free standing shelves (didn't want to screw into the cabinet).  Nothing pretty and I didn't even take time to paint them as they don't show but they provided me with two extra shelves and a ton more storage. 



However, we eventually filled the space.  This cabinet holds our electronic equipment in the middle behind the glass door but most of the rest is used to store kids stuff (toys, balls, movies, coloring books, markers, crayons, etc.)  

Since my kids finally went back to school today I was able to stop by Target and just take time to browse.  I found some baskets in the dollar section that will work to contain all the loose coloring stuff.

I pulled everything out of both ends and did some rearranging.  Now both kids have one shelf each and can easily pull out a basket instead of a random book or crayon that just gets tossed back in.  I also had room for most of the toys.  I just have one basket that only had a couple of items that will need to be relocated.  I was also able to find room to put the Wii remotes away.  
Since I have one basket of games/toys to relocate I'm hoping to make that the next area I organize.  Hard to tell from the pictures but it is much more organized.


Even better with the doors closed  :)


´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

6 comments:

  1. looks great! I wish my kitchen cabinets always looked that good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on the entertainment center

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that rack organizer. Mine are piled in the drawer under my oven. ;-/ Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Little Raindrops and for the encouragement! I use a handful of disposable containers but just reuse them. Then if they walk off with guests I don't feel too bad. :-)

    Your kitchen cabinets do look awesome! I love that cookie sheet rack too -- will have to look for something like that.
    Awesome job on the entertainment center! It does look much tidier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its all ready for Emery to come over and take everything out of it again!

    ReplyDelete