January 6, 2011

Day 5 - 21 Day Organizational Challenge - "Under the Sink" (Denise)

While I'm glad this was on the organizational list I was secretly terrified to "organize" this area.  It's so gross under my sink.  I know I said in a previous post that my cabinets in my kitchen are fairly well organized but this is the exception.  I opened the doors this morning but just couldn't bring myself to start working.  I left them open and every time I walked through the kitchen it seemed to be calling my name.  


After lunch I finally felt ready for the task.  I pulled everything out, scrubbed out the floor area.  Luckily we had already placed a piece of linoleum in there so it was easy to clean.  I also scrubbed out the one basket that I was using to hold everything.  Next I purged some things we never use or toxic cleaners I'd rather not use anymore.  We're trying to switch to healthier more eco-friendly cleaners.  After that it was just a matter of putting everything away.  
Not a huge transformation but it is more organized, and definitely more clean. The only think I think I may put on my wish list is some sort of two tiered rack to use instead of the white basket.

While I was working under there I decided to hang this really cool holder I have for aluminum foil, saran wrap, etc.  I've only had it about 10 years. . . . I'm surprised I was able to find it so fast.  It's basically just a thin piece of balsa wood that you screw to the bottom (or side) of the cabinet frame.  It's in the shape of a W and you simply cut slits in the boxes and slide them onto the fingers.  So easy to install and use.  I can't believe I was wasting precious pantry space when this took only minutes to install.  I have two more smaller ones that I need to put on the other door for sandwich bags.  

If you'd like to join in we still have 16 days to go.  Check out A Bowl Full of Lemons.



´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   Denise

4 comments:

  1. I think its a great idea to put the aluminum foil on the door like that, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jealous you got your's done already. I'm working on it after dinner. Wish me luck!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I've never seen a holder like that before.

    ReplyDelete