December 27, 2010

All by Myself Toddler Velcro Belt



My little lovely has the most unique body frame.  She is extremely tall for her age, and skinny skinny skinny!  Every woman’s dream!  I hope it stays with her for the rest of her life.  Anyway, because of this, I cannot find jeans that fit her.  She can wear a 6m waist jean, but needs the length of a 2T.  SOOOOO Difficult!  I bought a belt with D rings and it’s really a big pain to put on and off with a squirming 22 month old!  On the other hand, I bought one for my son who is now potty trained and I constantly have to take the belt off and put it back on every time he has to go potty.  So I went to the store and found some Velcro toddler belts that were like $22!  SERIOUSLY!!!!!  Of course I went right out and bought supplies to make them myself.  So without further adieu…here you go!!!!!!!!!!
Materials:
1 inch wide belt webbing
1 inch or smaller wide ribbon (I like to use grosgrain)
½ inch sew on Velcro in coordinating color (I usually use white)
Thread in coordinating color
Scissors
Fray check or lighter
Straight Pins
Sewing Machine

1.       First, measure your child’s waist and hips.  I like to use the middle measurement.  My daughter’s waist is 18”, and her hips are 19.5”.  So I used 19” as my measurements.  Take their measurements and add 4-5”.  That will be the length you cut your webbing. 
19 (Waist/Hip) + 4 = 23 (belt length)
2.       After you have determined the length of the belt, decide on a coordinating ribbon to use.  Add one inch to the overall length of the belt and cut the ribbon.  For example. 
23 (belt) + 1 = 24 Ribbon length

3.       After you have cut, I like to treat the ends of the webbing and ribbon whether with fray check or lighter method. 
4.       Now comes the pinning.  Fold the ribbon ½ inch over the end of the webbing and then turn the webbing over ½ inch, then pin in place.  This will give you a nice edge and wrap the ribbon inside the webbing.


5.       Next pin the ribbon to the webbing all the way down the belt until you reach the other end.  Again, fold the ½ inch extra ribbon over the edge, then fold the webbing over ½ inch and pin. 

6.       Now it’s time to sew.  I use a straight stitch along the edge so you see less of the stitching.  I also like to use a coordinating thread as the ribbon on top and my bobbin color the same as the belt webbing.  In the example, I used black thread on top and pink thread in my bobbin.  I do this so you can’t see the stitching as much on each side.  After you stitch all the way around the entire length of the ribbon and ends, I add the Velcro. 

7.       Cut off 3” of hook and loop, sew on Velcro and pin one to the top side and the other to the bottom side. Make sure you get sew on Velcro.  I didn’t the first time (used sticky), and when the stick came off and I tried to sew it, it messed up my machine!  YUCK!  Sew all the way around the Velcro piece.  Again, I use white thread on top to match my white Velcro and I used invisible thread on bottom so you cannot see it as much in the ribbon.  You can also use the same color thread on bottom as your ribbon or webbing.  Whatever works for you. 



8.       And there you have it!  A toddler Velcro belt that they and do all by themselves!  YA!!!!!


12 comments:

  1. I love these! Both of my girls suffer from the same "problem" and think these belts would be perfect for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 5 year old is tiny (short and skinny) I have been looking for a belt tute for him. Thanks:) I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I have a skinny minnie 9 year old with Cerebral Palsy and doing a D-ring belt can be a challenge for her, but she NEEDS belts since "skinny jeans" are baggy on her {I should have such problems, LOL}. I am going to make these up for her ASAP! Thanks so much for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Feltsocute: That just gave me the biggest smile ever. Thanks for visiting. By the way, LOVE your felt party hats, can't wait to make them for the kiddos!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make one! I'm a beginner at sewing... do I have to use a special needle to sew thru the belt material - and what about the tension. I've never sewn anything but basic fabric.
    Thank you so much for your help and the great ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Holly: I tried to find an email for you on your profile and blogs, but I can't find one. I hope you check back here.

    I use a regular standard needle for cottons and such, but I do dull it pretty quickly. I don't think you would need a denim needle, that would be a lot. The tension I always set to about 3 or 4, the normal, and my stitch length is 2.5 usually. It's the standard on my machine. Make sure you use sew on velcro, I ruined a machine by not using it. Some machines will not go through the thick webbing, but I'd go ahead and try it. I have a pretty standard brother cheapo and it works fine. Good luck!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Holly: I tried to find an email for you on your profile and blogs, but I can't find one. I hope you check back here.

    I use a regular standard needle for cottons and such, but I do dull it pretty quickly. I don't think you would need a denim needle, that would be a lot. The tension I always set to about 3 or 4, the normal, and my stitch length is 2.5 usually. It's the standard on my machine. Make sure you use sew on velcro, I ruined a machine by not using it. Some machines will not go through the thick webbing, but I'd go ahead and try it. I have a pretty standard brother cheapo and it works fine. Good luck!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I can't wait to make a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So hard to find a belt for my 3 yr old son. I have a lot of dinosaur yardage so dinosaur belts it is. Can't wait to go get some webbing and velcro tomorrow for them!!

    Thank you for sharing this with everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Sara, I first made these for my son at age 3, and now that his little fingers are strong enough at 4, I started making these for him...
    http://www.elsiemarley.com/boy-belt-tutorial.html
    It's a great step up. I'm glad you enjoy it!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always wary of Primark but these look great! Lovely post .
    Skinny Jean Belts

    ReplyDelete