November 28, 2010

Wine Bottle Cozy (Gift Bag)

 I was reading the paper this weekend and I saw an ad for Christmas gifts and some wine bottle sleeves caught my eye.  They were made from red cotton sweaters.  I have made these lambs in the past . . . 


 . . . . . from wool sweaters.  I decided to use the left over wool to make some wine bottle cozies.
Here are the simple steps. . . 
(*Note - since I had used this wool previously it was already felted.  I used old sweaters and washed them in hot soapy water in the washing machine a couple times.  Once it's properly felted you can cut it and not worry about it fraying)
Wrap the wool around the bottle to determine where to sew.  I used the edge of the sweater for the top so that I had a nice finished edge.  I pinned it along the length of the bottle and trimmed off the excess around the bottom.  You can also see where I cut out a pocket and pinned it to the bottom.
 I stitched on the pocket near the bottom and then I put wrong sides together and stitched up the length of the bottle so the seam would show on the outside. Next, I cut a circle from a scrap piece for the bottom.  Since this wool was thinner and had some stretch to it I cut it pretty close to the size of the bottom of the bottle.
I turned the sleeve inside out so the wrong side was outside and pinned the circle to the bottom and stitched all the way around.
I turned it right side out and slipped my bottle of wine inside.  The pocket can be used for a little note card.  You can also make it larger and add a bottle opener or some chocolate.
For the purple cozy, my wool was less stretchy so I made the bottom a little larger to allow for a seam allowance. 
  I skipped the pocket on this one and instead added some buttons and used a scrap to tie like a scarf.
 If you like the ones I made and don't want to attempt the tutorial these will be in my etsy store soon.  Please let me know if you have any questions about the cozies I made or the tutorial.  
(¯`v´¯)
.`·.¸.·´
¸♥·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ´♥ ¸¸.·¨¯·♥ Denise

7 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I love this idea to dress up a bottom of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think is a project I could actually sew! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I would love it if you would link this up to my Strut Your Stuff Party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-up-giveaway-and-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Just linked up Dana!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now I have to make one! Love the idea of putting a bottle opener in the pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY! my lil heart is beating away at seeing this post! you truley have made my day! Thanks for sharing. If and When I get around to doing this.. I will certainly be linking back to your blog! have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Those little sheep are awesome. They would be perfect with my nativity set. So cute.

    ReplyDelete